Hi to All Learning Community Writing Students,
It is mid-term!!!
You have been part of the learning community at our university this Fall 2008. How do you feel about the learning community? Has it helped you to transition from high school to college and to feel part of the university community? If so, in what ways? If not, why do you think it has not?
What have you liked about being part of our learning community? What benefits have you received so far.
What would you change as far as the learning community?
What has bugged you about the learning community--or is there anything you think could be done differently or in a different way?
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
58 comments:
I love this class!
Oml, Thank you for helping me learn how to give others access to this site!
The learning community has helped me out very much. Being a freshman isnt the easiest thing, the LC helped me meet people. Having other students in three classes also helped me keep up with homework.
I enjoyed this class so much i really liked all the assignments. The only thing i would critisze was that i wish there we more interactive events of assignments between classes. However i have made alot of friends and talked to people i normally wouldnt.
I love this class! Being in a learnign community makes school much easier and much more fun...It also makes me feel more comfortable
I love being in a learning community, it has made college life adjustments easier. I love my english class 1321 with Dr. Johnson she makes learning so much more interesting and fun. Also I have gotten use to my classmates in my learning community so it gives me somone to call if i need help on a paper. I just really love being with familiar faces it makes me feel more comfortable.
I really enjoy this class. It's alot of fun. The learning community is great because if you need help you always have someone you can talk to, other than the teacher. I really wouldn't change anything. I think that we can do a group project though. It might help us understand how we are connected and see how we work in groups.
I really think that being apart of a LC is very helpful! It makes me feel more secure that I have a whole class that is in the same position as me with my assignments in more than one of my classes. It also helps because I have made friends with everyone in those classes, so if I ever need help it is no problem to contact one of them. Just like someone else said, being a freshman is not the easiest thing in the world. I am just really glad we have LC's here at Texas Wesleyan.
i think the learning community is great. it's a very great way to transition into college. it helps us get aquanted with others, it helps us get to know each other that way we can come ask a class mate for help without being shy or nervous. as far as changing anything, i would only make sure that everyone has an equal oppertunity to be in one. It should be very strongly recommended and im glad that i am in one know, it is very helpful.
The learning community is great!!! It has really helped me transition from high school to college, and has made me feel a part of the university community by learning to manage my time better and by attending school events and recieve point for attending now I attended because I want to. I've liked how each learning community has the same classes together and has helped to make friends. The only thing I would change about the learning community is having it in the spring with the same classmates. The learning community is great and I am thankful for being in it!!!!
I like the learning community. The learning community makes things easier because it teaches you new study habits when entering college. I wouldnt change anything about the LC, and it should be offered to everyone. The LC makes you get more comfortable with your classes.
I think that the learning community is a great thing for college freshmen. At first I wasn't excited about the learning community at all since it is similar to what I went through in high school, having classes with the same group of people, and seeing the same faces every day. After a period of time, however, I think that it isn't that bad at all. It has helped me transition from high school to college, and one of the benefits of being in a learning community is that I can depend on other classmates if I miss a class, or need help in a certain class.
i think it was super helpful and i talked to people i normally wouldnt. as a whole i have no complaints about the LC!
I think the learning community is supposed to be about being able to meet and rely on familiar people to feel more comfortable with starting college and being able to study for the classes that you have together. I have noticed that once we get into class we go to familiar people and we dont branch out: roommates, teammates, etc. I think to actually gain from this learning community you have to split up the "cliques" and develope relationships with more of the class other than your security blanket. It is a good thing to have access to, but i think in order to REALLY learn from this community you have to know everyone.
Being in a learning community has really helped. It gives us other students who are going through the same thing, and same problems and questions. It gives us someone to talk to and to study with. Being a college freshman is tough, but being in a learning community helps with the transition. The benefits I have received out of the learning community would be study buddies, answers to my questions, and new friends. There is nothing I would really change about the learning communities, but I would like to ask how did gst, english, and religion get put together in a learning community. It seems kind of random to me. But all in all, the learning communites, I feel, are essential for college freshman.
The Learning Community was really helpful during my Freshman year here at Wesleyan...It helped me get to know ppl better and a lot quicker than me having to do it myself. I also really enjoyed having u as a teacher...u really made this semester fun for me.
What would you want a prospective freshman to know about the LC? What questions should they ask their advisors in order to determine if a LC is right for them?
I would want them to understand it well enough so that they know the benefits of it and the negatives of it.
Ophelia...I would let the prospective freshman know that the LC is really helpful in getting to know the school itself. They should be sure to ask their advisors what classes should they take especially if they're in my situation where I have to take Intermediate Math so i cant take my Biology classes; which is my major. So for next semester I have to be sure to get signed up for all the right classes, and the ones I missed in order to be caught up.
Response to Ophelia...I would tell them that if they dont really know how to make friends or want people they can be comfortable with then join an LC and you can become friends with ppl u dont think u would...i get along with ppl in my LC than in my others and the LC profs seem to care a little more and work with you more...on the other hand i havnt been out of the LC so i dont know what this yr wouldve been like...
Anonymous:
What are those benefits and negatives? Please name some of them.
a learning community makes you feel more comfortable with your surroundings while you go from class to class with people you know. it makes it easier to form study groups and make better connections with each other. as far as questions go for advisors im not entirely sure to determine if a LC is right for them. but personally the LC made the transition from high school to college much easier.
I would want other freshmen to know that the LC is s good program and helps to get to know new people and helps to adjust with the college life and that you will see the same people everyday, but they should ask their advisors if they have time for the LC, if what they want their schedule to look like put them in or out of the LC.
Ophelia,I believe that it is a great experience and it helps you stay on task. The way you can determine whether a LC is great for you is if you like to work with people and you don't mind working with the same group of people. Questions to ask is if you would work with the same people everday? It can kind of be to baby like because there is always someone to support you when you fall off. A part of college life is learning you are responsible for yourself. So in a way the LC carries you and you are still relying on others to help you
I would let the freshman know that it is a wonderful idea to be in an LC because it helps you in the long run. You man not be doing well in a class and most of the time there is a person in your LC that can help you do better. You many not get along with some people in your learning community but you should try to mend your relationship if possible because this is someone you will have to see and you dont want to cause tension in the group.
I would want them to know that they shouldnt be nervous about the LC. Most of the time you get along wth everyone and its not a bad thing at all.But there will always be ups and downs.
You should ask your professors " Does this help students who might struggle?" or
"How will i benefit from this at all ?"
Ophelia, the only thing you might want to check is to see if the LC can fit in thier scheduels. If they arent able to get in it, maybe they can get in two classes or see the times of the other LC's that they might be able to join.
the only negative thing is if you dont like a person in your LC you have to see them everyday so thats the only bad thing really
Ophelia,
I would tell freshmen to break out of their shells. Dont be afraid to talk to a stranger, sure its easier said than done but it really will be beneficial.
-as far as questions go, no question is "stupid." I think that they should ask about how they can get regular study groups formed and to how to make them functional, because that will be helpful to them.
-positive you see familiar faces
-negative you get bored of those faces(LOL)
Ophelia: The freshman would need to understand that they are going to see the same people everyday of the week. It is kind of like high school, but at the same time not. They should make sure that the learning community would fit in there schedule. Learning communities are something every freshman should consider. It really helps you out.
Ophelia...freshman should ask their advisor if being in a learning will fit in your sch. along with the class you want to take. i really recomend that you take advantage of it if possible because not only does having the same class mates help you but the teachers tend to work together with the other teachers to make your life easier.
You might be thinking ugh i don't want to be with just those people all the time everyday what if i don't like my LC people? but you can still have classes outside of the LC. i have 2 other classes that are not LC classes, so i mean it is nice to see new faces.
the benefits of the LC is that you know who is in your class and you could always ask them for the assignment in case you missed a class and some negatives are that one person can tell you something is due one day and another person can tell you its due another day, but then again you could always ask the proffesor to make sure.
What would you want a prospective freshman to know about the LC? What questions should they ask their advisors in order to determine if a LC is right for them?
Ophelia: Some people might not like the idea of the LC, while some may. But, if you are a first year college student, the LC can help you not only during your first year of college, but also for the rest of your college years since you are given the chance of getting to know a close group of people. But not every single one of the classes that you have to be in a LC. I have two other classes that are not in the LC, and I can still talk and meet other people just the same. Questions can be: What are the amount of time the LC students spend together? How can the professors help me if I'm in a learning community?
you get tired of seeing the same people everyday
Being in a learning community has
made the transition from high school to college a lot easier.
Being in a learning community has helped me transition from my high school life to college life. I've made new friends and I've enjoyed almost all my classes. Math IS KILLING ME!!! However, I've been havin fun so far and I'm learning how to balance everything out and all cuz I know without the learning communities, I'd be one hot mess of a college student. LOL. :)
Learning communities are a very good idea and i think every university should have this program. Being a freshman is hard enough but being in a learning community has really eased the transition from being a high school senior to being a college freshman. My learning community has introduced me to a lot of people i probably would not have associated myself with otherwise.
I love the learning community. It is fun to be in class with my friends. The teachers are nice and we stay on task as a group. With my friends i am more comfortable with the class. Schoolis fun this way. THIS IS GREAT!
The learning community was just great. Everything about it was so much fun. It helped me a lot with my classes and made my firts semester in college much easier than I expected it to be. Thank you!!!
The learning community has been a great help in meeting new people. It gives us an oppurtunity to interact and get help. It's a way to keep us on track and helps us accomplish our gooolllaaazzzooosss!!!!
The learning community has definetly made things a bit easier. It's nice to have the same people in your class who are taking the exact same subjects as you so this way, you can study harder not just on one subject, but on several. It's also relaxing to see the same faces instead of different ones that you are not familiar with.
I really like the learning community that Texas Wesleyan has. I have made lots of new friends and I enjoy every class that I am in. Although we might not be in the same classes next year i have had a great and enjoyable time being in all of mmy professors class.
the learning community has helped me make the 2 bestest friends ever!!!!!
and it has helped me not give up on school and half the reason i love coming to my classes is because of my 2 friends
I love being a part of the learning community. I've been doing so good and the best part is all of my friends are in it too. We're like a big support system for each other since we all basically have the same classes. Having them around in the learning community has helped me keep up with major assignments.
I really like the LC.It really helps me out a lot!I can be oreinted with everyone in my classes.
The learning communities has really helped me transition from high school to college and I've made many great new friends and I plan to stay in the learning communities next year because of how helpful it is when u need help with homework and it also helps make new acquaintances and I LOVE TO MEET NEW PEOPLE!! Lol. :)
The LC had helped me adjust into college life so much faster and easier. I feel very comfortable now, specifically because I had most of my classes with the same people. I'm ready for my next semester and whether I have the same classes with these people or not makes no difference to me because I have a positive outlook on things and I'll get through it.
With finals being so close and mid-terms already passed LC had helped me tremedously.I love the fact that I can see some of my classmates in more than one class.It is really beneficial on my part.Just the other day I was sick and couldnt make it to one of my classes.I emailed my teacher,but I also had one of my classmates tell the professor to be on the safe side.Without the LC that would not have been possible.That is why I love the LC so much because it helps out in many different areas of my academic study.
The LC has helped me throughout the entire year. The classes help freshman make the transition from high school into a college environment with ease. After going through a semester in the LC, I feel it has helped me out to prepare for a good future in school. Plus all the people you meet along the way will be with you for the next years of college here... Thanks to whoever came up with this idea.
The LC has been a great expierence. You have a support system in class and many familiar faces. I've made great friends and had great professors. Sometimes your professors are not very approachable and having a friend or a classmate able to answer the questions you didn't understand is very helpful. It had made my transition from high school much easier. Next semester I enrolled in classes that some of my friends from my LC are enrolled in so that I will have that support system again. I believe I am also in another LC as well.
It was a great expirence.
Only complain is one of the professors in the LC I was in.
The learning community has continued to help me in a variety
of ways. It made me feel comfortable to know that I was in a classroom with other students who were going through the same transition stage that I was going through. I would strongly advise upcoming freshman to join a learning community.
The LC has helped me alot as i have experienced some of the same stuff my other fellow classmates have. We interact end experience everything together which helps us get through the semester better. The transition to college from HS has been smooth. It's just time to prepare for midterms and put an exclamation point in my first semster in college!! I have grown to be more responsible and time manageable with my time and freeness that i didn't have in HS.. I chose a great school and can't wait for next semester!!!
Learning community has really helped me. It helped me do and learn several things. I made new frineds have study groups and my grades are higher in the classes that i have a larning community in. Next semester i want to take a learning community too. I hope i get the chance because they are a big help. I would also like to take Ms.Johnson because i hear that she is a super awesome teacher!!! As a freshman i imagined it being hard and i was very afraid i probably wouldnt make it but as i seen alot of the same faces in three or more of my classes i learned that maybe it would be ok because i would have friends to help me!!! Learning community is a big success and i think they should have it for everybody!!!!
I've noticed that being in a "Learning Community" has helped me feel more comfortable about myself and my knowledge. I can come to school knowing that I'm not alone and there are people around me that are in the same plave I am. They are freshmans just like me and they are here to learn. I dont have to be afraid to come to school due to not knowing anyone because I have people I know and I can talk to about my problems or what I did over the weekend. I can just be myself. Its a huge wieght off my shoulder knowing I come to a place with familiar faces and nice and outgoing teachers and students.
I know if I didnt cone the to TW I would be that scared and nervous person that I dread. Thsnks to all the people and the Learning Community I can be MYSELF.
After being in the learning community I have learn to be more open to new friends. I'm not as shy or self conscious as I used to be. I think its a great progarm to help students who normally wouldn't fit in feel confortable.
MATH IS KILLING ME!!! The learning communities is great, but MATH IS KILLING ME!! I'm not a math person and I need alot of help and I know alot of people in the learning communities in the same position I am where math is kicking our tails, but I wouldn't trade being in the learning communities and all the good experiences I've had so far for anything, but yeah, I'm gonna need somebody who's got a lil math talent to help me pass math with a B and not a D. Lol
The LC is a great thing to be apart of. I met new people that became my friends and we keep each other on track. I heard the freshman year is the hardest.Being in the LC makes my first year a little less stressful. I love it!!!
Being in a learning community is very beneficial to anyone who is trying to do good in college. It has really helped me a lot by giving me other people who have the same schedule as i do and doing the same work.
Test comment
Post a Comment