I think if our "capacity to think and feel and bond deeply" is becoming extinct, then it reflects a shift in priorities rather than a lack of attention span. People should create their own personal balance between work & life, important & trivial, etc. When you get consumed by all of the little things, that's when you don't have the "capacity to think and feel and bond deeply"
Melissa, That is true even when I am at work I have so many task and request to perform I never have a chance to sit and focus on one project at a time.
I feel that with so many electronic devices such as MP3 players, cellular phones, hand held devices and new methods of communication such as email and text messaging, our human to human relationship is fading. Everything has become very impersonal and all physical emotions have been replaced with textual emotions ( <3, :), 0:) ). What happened to just hearing the sound of one's voice and the sincerity and empathy within that voice? Society is so busy multitasking that we have forgotten to stop and breathe.
I think we are losing the capacity to thing and bond with things as time goes on. Technology has our minds running all the time, rather than giving it time to rest, and process all that we are taking in. If you take in too much information, the brain reaches a point of not being able to process what was put into it. What's the point of oversaturating the brain with info, if we're not able to use it in the long run? I think the convenience of the technology is nice, but it could get carried away as time goes on.
Yes, because due to technology we forget about more important things, such as our family, friends, responsibilities, and our significant others. We text each other instead of talking to one another. We get distracted by technology, which includes television or videogames. When we get distracted we forget about our responsibilities to one another and to ourselves.
As technology continues to grow and humans become completley intune with their own personal affairs, they will lose their overall sense of what goes on around them. We will become more distracted with a hand-held device that will have our personal computer, telephone, wallet/purse (with ID, credit cards, health insurance card, etc.). We will be great at finding information and communicating with others without having to be face to face. But we will find it more difficult to retain information through all of the distractions around us. We are becoming self-absorbed. . . .and crave instant gratification!!!
MelissaW I'm not sure simpler times are the answer. We obviously have more media streams and issues vying for our attention, but whether it's 50 million websites or 4 TV stations, at some point you still have to make a personal choice to turn it off and spend some time with family and friends or a good book.
I agree. what did happen to hearing the sound of someone's voice? It's annoying when people text you for the simplest things, when picking up a phone and calling would make things a lot more simple in certain situations. :)
nicgar1214 thanks for your comment. I would like to the our nation go back to working the land and living off it. Now if we are hungry we go to a drive thru instead of cooking. We have more cases of obesity becase we are now a fast pace society.
Casey, I agree with you. Priorities have definitely changed over the years. Everyone needs to a better undestanding of how to balance life and have time to relax and unwind. I would love to have a time when I can sit down and actually complete a though without interruption.
Yes, Melissa Simple I don't know what that word means anymore! For instance when I just want to talk to someone on the phone, most of the people I talk to just wants to text. Can I just hear someones voice!!!! LOL
With all this new technology we have today such as high tech phone and portable devices it all creates a distraction.What all this distraction is effecting is ones ability to be able to focus and i mean to really focus on what is in front of them. Our ability to to think and feel and bond deeplly is getting harder and harder to do.
This is absolutely true in regards to the interconnectedness of everyone through social networking through instant messaging, text messages, myspace, facebook, twitter, ect. Here I am with a millions ways to contact all of my friends and acquaintances, yet I know none of my neighbors names in my apartment complex (and I consider myself a very social guy). I'm living less than ten feet from five different "households" that I'm unfamiliar with, but had a video chat with my parents old German exchange student through Skype.
I agree with you Sylvia, it's so sad that our human to human relationship is fading. Sometimes I feel like people open up more to me through texting than actually opening up to me personally.
Sylvia, That's true, about people being so busy, with schedules the way they are and no time; people make time for what they feel is important to them.
sooo true. look at what we're doing now in class, i'm sitting write behind you responding to your message. what is twitter by the way? ive heard so much about it in the past.
Nicholas, have you seen the movie Wall-E? This is a perfect example of what you are referring to in your response. The entire of Earth was supposed to go on a 5 year cruise in space while robots cleaned up our trash that made Earth uninhabitalbe. Anyway, all the people on the cruise became lazy due to high tech equipment and they were obese. No one touched anymore or talked in person. The theme that Wall-E brought to the movie was to touch. I hope we don't end up at that point.
With all the technology today texting, emails, myspace, cell phones people find it much easier to communicate that way. With all our busy schedules it just seems easier and faster. There is no more face to face, one on one human relationship conversations or bonding moments anymore. What happened to our society?
Shanta, Do you think people really want to bond deeply with other people. I do when I have to, maybe because it's more comfortable or a product of the hectic society.
-Twitter is an instant update social networking tool that when you send a message (called a tweet) it sends it out to everyone connected to you either via text message, facebook or other RSS feed.
Indeed on the whole sitting behind me. Ironic how this exercise is prohibiting or, at least, limiting all the face-to-face interaction we are talking about on this blog at this very moment. HA HA! Oh well, I love blogging anyways.
40 comments:
Please respond to the prompt from "Distracted" presentation.
Verifying Set-Up
Setting up gmail account
set-up
setting up.
setting up
I'm all set up Sylvia.. :p
I feel that we are losing ourselves in the need for great technology. I wish for simplier times. Now we live in a rushed world.
Yes, I do feel that in our everyday society we have lost track of what it is to simply feel and have deep thoughts.
I think because we are so self absorbed by our daily lives we don't have the time to think and bond deeply.
Melissaw
I agree with you on that we live in a fast society, which I feel leads to more choas and stress in our everday lives.
I think if our "capacity to think and feel and bond deeply" is becoming extinct, then it reflects a shift in priorities rather than a lack of attention span. People should create their own personal balance between work & life, important & trivial, etc. When you get consumed by all of the little things, that's when you don't have the "capacity to think and feel and bond deeply"
Susie23,
Almost finished!
Melissa,
That is true even when I am at work I have so many task and request to perform I never have a chance to sit and focus on one project at a time.
I feel that with so many electronic devices such as MP3 players, cellular phones, hand held devices and new methods of communication such as email and text messaging, our human to human relationship is fading. Everything has become very impersonal and all physical emotions have been replaced with textual emotions ( <3, :), 0:) ). What happened to just hearing the sound of one's voice and the sincerity and empathy within that voice? Society is so busy multitasking that we have forgotten to stop and breathe.
I think we are losing the capacity to thing and bond with things as time goes on. Technology has our minds running all the time, rather than giving it time to rest, and process all that we are taking in. If you take in too much information, the brain reaches a point of not being able to process what was put into it. What's the point of oversaturating the brain with info, if we're not able to use it in the long run? I think the convenience of the technology is nice, but it could get carried away as time goes on.
Yes, because due to technology we forget about more important things, such as our family, friends, responsibilities, and our significant others. We text each other instead of talking to one another. We get distracted by technology, which includes television or videogames. When we get distracted we forget about our responsibilities to one another and to ourselves.
To MelissaW:
Our society is fast, but isn't our choice on how we live our lives.
As technology continues to grow and humans become completley intune with their own personal affairs, they will lose their overall sense of what goes on around them. We will become more distracted with a hand-held device that will have our personal computer, telephone, wallet/purse (with ID, credit cards, health insurance card, etc.). We will be great at finding information and communicating with others without having to be face to face. But we will find it more difficult to retain information through all of the distractions around us. We are becoming self-absorbed. . . .and crave instant gratification!!!
MelissaW
I'm not sure simpler times are the answer. We obviously have more media streams and issues vying for our attention, but whether it's 50 million websites or 4 TV stations, at some point you still have to make a personal choice to turn it off and spend some time with family and friends or a good book.
Sylvia
I agree. what did happen to hearing the sound of someone's voice? It's annoying when people text you for the simplest things, when picking up a phone and calling would make things a lot more simple in certain situations. :)
nicgar1214 thanks for your comment. I would like to the our nation go back to working the land and living off it. Now if we are hungry we go to a drive thru instead of cooking. We have more cases of obesity becase we are now a fast pace society.
Casey, I agree with you. Priorities have definitely changed over the years. Everyone needs to a better undestanding of how to balance life and have time to relax and unwind. I would love to have a time when I can sit down and actually complete a though without interruption.
Yes, Melissa
Simple I don't know what that word means anymore! For instance when I just want to talk to someone on the phone, most of the people I talk to just wants to text. Can I just hear someones voice!!!! LOL
With all this new technology we have today such as high tech phone and portable devices it all creates a distraction.What all this distraction is effecting is ones ability to be able to focus and i mean to really focus on what is in front of them. Our ability to to think and feel and bond deeplly is getting harder and harder to do.
Mshaw
It is true that the brain is so overstimulated with information that at the same time it isn't able to retain it all in the end.
This is absolutely true in regards to the interconnectedness of everyone through social networking through instant messaging, text messages, myspace, facebook, twitter, ect. Here I am with a millions ways to contact all of my friends and acquaintances, yet I know none of my neighbors names in my apartment complex (and I consider myself a very social guy). I'm living less than ten feet from five different "households" that I'm unfamiliar with, but had a video chat with my parents old German exchange student through Skype.
My daughter is 4yrs old now, when she becomes a teenager she better be well prepared for the future, it will be so advanced.
I agree with you Sylvia, it's so sad that our human to human relationship is fading. Sometimes I feel like people open up more to me through texting than actually opening up to me personally.
Sylvia, That's true, about people being so busy, with schedules the way they are and no time; people make time for what they feel is important to them.
Shanta,
I do believe that our children will be prepared but only if we give them the tools to and inforce that they use them.
Aulstin with an "L"
sooo true. look at what we're doing now in class, i'm sitting write behind you responding to your message. what is twitter by the way? ive heard so much about it in the past.
Melissa
Your right it is our choice to choose how we want to live our lives, but if we don't keep up we will get left behind.
Nicholas, have you seen the movie Wall-E? This is a perfect example of what you are referring to in your response. The entire of Earth was supposed to go on a 5 year cruise in space while robots cleaned up our trash that made Earth uninhabitalbe. Anyway, all the people on the cruise became lazy due to high tech equipment and they were obese. No one touched anymore or talked in person. The theme that Wall-E brought to the movie was to touch. I hope we don't end up at that point.
Shanta,
I like texting but not with loved ones. I need to hear my brothers voice and my parents too.
With all the technology today texting, emails, myspace, cell phones people find it much easier to communicate that way. With all our busy schedules it just seems easier and faster. There is no more face to face, one on one human relationship conversations or bonding moments anymore. What happened to our society?
Shanta,
Do you think people really want to bond deeply with other people. I do when I have to, maybe because it's more comfortable or a product of the hectic society.
MShaw (Mary)
-Twitter is an instant update social networking tool that when you send a message (called a tweet) it sends it out to everyone connected to you either via text message, facebook or other RSS feed.
Indeed on the whole sitting behind me. Ironic how this exercise is prohibiting or, at least, limiting all the face-to-face interaction we are talking about on this blog at this very moment. HA HA! Oh well, I love blogging anyways.
Aulstin,
Interesting observation. More interesting is that students say more on the blog than many would in class discussion--what's up with that?
Post a Comment